|Collection||Rutherford B. Hayes|
|Description||3 story Victorian-style dollhouse with a mansard roof and steeple; painted grey with white and mauve trim, especially around window frames and roof; house is basically square; the steeple section contains 3 windows, one each side; the front has a double window with a small balcony; below that is a large window with a balcony; below that is a small door with 5 steps and a rail going up to a small enclosed porch; decorative trim around the opening archway of the porch; there are 4 large windows, 2 on each side of the steeple located in the roof section (3rd floor); both sides of the house are identical; the middle 1/3 of each side sticks out and contains a double window (1st floor) and above a large single window; 2 windows on each side of the section that sticks out; the back of the house is completely open to view the contents; the roof has 4 brick chimneys and a large "V" shaped sky light in the middle; a decorative rail outlines the roof|
|Dimensions||H-56.969 W-42.717 L-45 inches|
|Event||Methodist Church Fair|
|Made||by George C. Brown|
made by George C. Brown, carpenter and builder, from Baltimore, Maryland and presented to President and Lucy Hayes by the lady managers of a Methodist Church Fair, for their only daughter, Fanny (aged 11 years), on February 13, 1878. President and Lucy Hayes were in Baltimore on February 13, 1878, attending the opening of the Methodist Fair at the Masonic Temple, for the benefit of the Emery Grove Camp-meeting Association. This dollhouse is one two which Fanny and her younger brother, Scott, played with at the White House. The dollhouse was not intended as a model for any particular building. When Hayes left the White House in 1881, the dollhouse was taken to the Hayes residence in Spiegel Grove, Fremont, Ohio where it remained until the Hayes Library was built in 1914. In 1960 the miniature house was restored by Harold Robinson of Fremont, OH and was wired for electric lights by Richard L. Whitman of the Burkett Electric Shop, Fremont, OH. None of the few pieces of original furniture has been preserved. After restoration, the dollhouse was furnished with miniature antique furniture by Mrs. Webb C. Hayes, III of Chevy Chase, Maryland and Spiegel Grove, Fremont, OH.
Brown, George C.
Hayes, Mrs. Webb C. III
George C. Brown
Emery Grove Camp-meeting Association
3 story Victorian-style dollhouse
Burkett Electric Shop